Now Booking 2014/2015 School Programs.
Subscribe to our eUpdates to receive the latest releases of exciting programs and special events for Educators.
Click here for booking information.
An exclusive program opportunity for Western Canada
Booking for the 2014/15 School Year currently underway. Contact us for details at 403.817.6802.
Open a window into the world of medicine by joining TELUS Spark for a live knee replacement surgery! In this 2.5 hour experience, junior high and high school students will watch a close up, guided view of a surgery as it is happening – and hear first-hand from the surgical team involved through a live question and answer interface. Students will gain insight into a range of aspects of medicine, from careers to health medicine, biomedical engineering to anatomy.
In collaboration with Alberta Health Services (AHS), TELUS Spark is proud to present this first of its kind monthly program opportunity in Western Canada, Direct From the Operating Room.
Broadcast live from Rockyview General Hospital, Orthopedic (knee) surgery is streamed onto a 24 foot screen, filmed from multiple HD cameras and angles, equipped with microphones to an audience of 100-150 students. Educators and students get the opportunity to watch the procedure in real-time and are able to interact with Dr. Werle, Head of Joint Reconstruction with AHS Calgary Zone and Clinical Associate Professor with the U of C, along with the wider surgical team as they operate on a patient.
Direct from the Operating Room is an exciting interactive opportunity for students to “experience generally reserved for medical professionals in a surgical team,” says Dr. Jason Werle.
Program Pricing: Minimum booking is for 15 students, for $285+ GST. Each additional student is $18.00+ GST. Standard chaperone ratios apply (1:10)
Cancellations: Cancellations more than two weeks prior to your booking are a $25 administration fee. Cancellations within two weeks of your booking are a $50 administration fee.
For more information and to book your students call: 403.817.6802 or email: email@example.com
Frequently Asked Questions on Direct From the Operating Room:
- Is there an additional charge to visit the galleries after the surgery program? Your program includes admission to the exhibit galleries, so please plan to stay and enjoy the Science Centre!
- Are other types of surgeries available? At present, we are only able to offer knee replacement surgeries; stay tuned for other offerings in the future.
- Are there supplemental resources? A collection of resources to support this program is available to teachers who book the program.
TELUS Spark is a different kind of Science Centre. It’s a place where visitors and students are encouraged to ignite their passion for discovery and to explore the extraordinary. We don’t just convey information. You are encouraged to pave your own path and discover answers through a participatory approach to all programs and exhibits. We believe that fostering and celebrating innovative and critical thinking is the key to inspiring generations of Albertans and Canadians to explore interests and careers in the areas of science, technology, engineering, and math. Sparking a passion and igniting a curiosity in children in these areas is at the forefront of our school programming at TELUS Spark. Coupled with a creative and artistic environment, we are building for the future of our community by growing the 21st century skills needed to further our city, the province, the country, and the world.
Please note that School Program rates are discounted. Memberships, promotions, discounts or coupons may not be redeemed for School Program Bookings.
What will your students experience?
The School Programs are inspired by research in inquiry-based learning. They are relevant to the Alberta Program of Studies and have strong connections to our daily lives. We provide the space and tools to foster questioning and exploration. You and your students bring unique perspectives, passion and creativity.
- School Workshops will provide hands on, in-class experiences, designed to encourage open-ended exploration, inquiry and participatory investigation by your students.
- Live Demonstrations connect students to exciting phenomena, explorations and experiments that could not happen in a classroom.
- Live Science Theatre help younger students find connections between science and creativity in a safe and dynamic atmosphere.
- HD Digital Dome Shows including Live Planetarium Shows and movies. View schedule.
- Free time exploring of our 5 exhibit galleries allow your students to engage with over 100 different experiences
TELUS Spark is on track to host over 65,000 students through School Programs in 2013, and we look forward to growing your experiences with us throughout the year. Join us on an inspiring journey through the overlapping worlds of science, technology, engineering, art and math (STEAM).
All School Programs are available to Homeschool groups! We look forward to welcoming Homeschoolers to TELUS Spark. Stay tuned for information on our next homeschool day.
For information regarding the Chevron Open Minds Science School, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Details about the program and application process can also be found here.