Manager, Health, Safety and Operations
TELUS Spark is a place for people of all ages and abilities to explore and discover science, technology, engineering, art and math (STEAM) through inquiry based learning and play. We live our values of Collaboration, Curiosity, Courage and Commitment on a daily basis. Join our team and, while you’re at work, take the opportunity to discover what makes the world around us so undeniably incredible! To contribute to making TELUS Spark a place that ignites a sense of wonder, excitement and acts as a catalyst for innovation and new ideas we are currently seeking a permanent full-time Manager, Health, Safety and Operations to join our team!
The Manager, Health, Safety and Operations is accountable for the Health and Safety Program at Spark as well as managing the day to day building operations. This includes implementing effective and efficient building operations and security, standards and practices are established and maintained across the operations team and fostering a culture of health and safety at Spark.
- Develop a strong team of employees focused on health, safety, security, and building operations.
- Responsible for developing and providing in house training on building maintenance procedures, health and safety and emergency response.
- Provide input to the Director, Operations regarding ongoing plans, directions and strategies for the Building Operations and Security team.
- Work in partnership with the people and culture team regarding ongoing plans, directions and strategies for Health and Safety.
- Ensure the Building Operations and Security team understand the directions and expectations associated with the implementation of the plans.
- Monitor, anticipate, adapt, mitigate, and respond to changing conditions in the Building Operations and Security Teams Identify risks, develop contingency plans and collaborate with the Director, Operations to solve operating pressures and act on opportunities.
- Manage and propose necessary budget requirements for the Building Operations and Security teams for the Director, Operations.
- Ensure the delivery of optimal results against objectives and against appropriate performance metrics. Establish, monitor, measure and report on performance metrics. Analyze and identify issues that are or will impact operational performance and establish initiatives for continuous improvement.
- Develop and maintain close connections with utility providers, suppliers and contractors that are needed to support the maintenance, operation and security of TELUS Spark. This includes representing TELUS Spark within the Building Owner Management Association.
- Lead the planning and implementing proactive, predictive and preventative maintenance, modifications and new installations and repairs on an efficient and timely basis through effective management and utilization of the operations department resources.
- Maintaining the security, building automation, lighting, fire protection and HVAC systems.
- Assist in ensuring organization abides by all appropriate codes, policies, guidelines and legislation such as Occupational Health and Safety Act, electrical, plumbing, gas, fire, sprinkler, and building codes. Lead any changes internally align to codes.
- Support the Director Operations in the purchase of materials/supplies needed for building maintenance, negotiating price, quality and delivery.
- Lead the implementation and maintenance of an effective Health & Safety program for all employees.
- Related degree, diploma or trade certificate required and 5+ years of related experience within the field.
- 2+ years of experience in a building maintenance and/or operations leadership role
- Knowledge of building management systems.
- Minimum 4th class Power Engineer certification or certification in an applicable trade.
- Understanding and experience with the challenges associated with operating and maintaining a building of this size. 150,000 square feet and above.
- Demonstrated understanding of building operations and management.
- Comprehensive knowledge/adherence to codes, policy, legislation.
- Strong commitment to safety and environmental protection.
- Ability to write Request for Proposals.
- An understanding of budgeting and purchasing practices and protocols is an asset.
- Understanding and experience with the complexities of not-for-profit science centre and or museums is an asset.
- The successful candidate will be required to work occasional evenings and weekends and must successfully complete a criminal record check.
To Apply: Interested candidates can submit their cover letter and resume, in confidence, to Don Blacklock, Director, Operations with Manager, Health, Safety and Operations in the subject line to [email protected]
Closing Date: Interested candidates can submit their application, in confidence, by February 5, 2019.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. TELUS Spark is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals.