TELUS Spark is a place for people of all ages and abilities to explore and discover science, technology, engineering, art and math (STEAM) through inquiry based learning and play. We live our values of Collaboration, Curiosity, Courage and Commitment on a daily basis. Join our team and while you’re at work take the opportunity to discover what makes the world around us so undeniably incredible! To contribute to making TELUS Spark a place that ignites a sense of wonder, excitement and acts as a catalyst for innovation and new ideas we are currently seeking a permanent full-time Director, Development to join our team!
The Director, Development raises financial resources to support TELUS Spark. The successful candidate will be responsible for the development and implementation of a sustainable operational fundraising plan, and to advise on fund development strategies for TELUS Spark. The strategic focus of the position is to deepen engagement with corporate and foundation partners, grant funders and individual supporters. The Director, Development will also provide input on government grant applications from time to time. This position is responsible for managing the development team at TELUS Spark.
- Set and meet fundraising objectives, evaluate results and develop corrective strategies as needed to ensure that charitable revenue is an increasing source of revenue to support the Spark mission.
- Design, implement and direct fundraising projects, setting deadlines and ensuring program accountability.
- Network and liaise with priority social and corporate circles, President/CEO and the Board to assemble the right solicitation and stewardship teams that will help raise the relevance and reputation of Spark. This includes developing and/or maintaining close connections with potential and existing donors and sponsors, the academic community, informal education communities, industrial research communities, business and arts communities and to develop and deliver strong community-driven development opportunities.
- Lead the Major Donor program, including consultation with the executive leadership team to match short- and long-term programming plans with philanthropic and sponsorship opportunities, conduct relationship-development with prospective donors and provide leadership to the proposal and/or grant application process.
- Ensure the Development team’s performance effectively supports the mission, long-term vision, and public brand of Spark, through excellence in annual planning, strong relationships with management as well as funding partners.
- Monitor, anticipate, adapt, mitigate, and respond to changing conditions in the community particularly as they influence the priorities and performance of the Development team.
- Develop a strong team of employees focused on prospect research, qualification, cultivation & solicitation process. Responsible for all Development activities including but not limited to Community Giving, Internal Giving, Major Donor program, Third Party Events, Sponsorship, Grants and Donor Stewardship as well as short and long term development opportunities. Occasional support to government grant applications.
- Plan, manage and propose necessary budget requirements for the Development team to the organization.
- A Degree or Diploma in fund development, communications/public relations, or business (or equivalent)
- 5+ years of progressive fund development experience at a senior level with a proven track record of achieving financial targets.
- 3+ years leading a team of fund development professionals to achieve financial targets.
- Fluent knowledge of the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) guidelines regarding fundraising in Canada and specifically Alberta.
- Fluent in Alberta Gaming and Liquor (AGLC) regulations.
- Committed to the AFP Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice and the Imagine Canada’s Code of Ethical Conduct.
- Proven ability to think strategically, creating competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans for the organization.
- Broad financial responsibility includes setting and meeting fundraising objectives, evaluating results and developing corrective strategies as needed.
- Extraordinary communications and presentation skills, ability to persuasively convey TELUS Sparks mission to diverse groups, including donors, corporate and foundation executives, board members, and others critical to TELUS Spark’s overall success.
- Member in good standing with the Association of Fund Raising Professionals.
- A Certified Fund Raising Executive designation is a define asset.
- The successful candidate will be required to work occasional evenings and must successfully complete a criminal record check.
To Apply: Interested candidates can submit their cover letter and resume including salary expectations, in confidence, to Robin Biagioni, Human Resources Business Partner with “Director, Development” in the subject line to [email protected]
Questions: Specific questions about the position can be directed to Michelle Regel, CFRE, Interim Director, Development at [email protected]
Closing Date: Open until a suitable candidate is found. Interviewing and selection will begin immediately.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. TELUS Spark is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals.