Prototype Project Student Mentor
Runs from September – December 6, 2017
Each volunteer will be asked to commit to 3 class visits for one school location. You are welcome to attend more than one location if interested. Specific dates TBA.
December 6, 2017 (approx. 5:30-8:30 pm): Attend public Celebration of Learning to support students with their exhibits
TELUS Spark is seeking professionals and experts in various fields (engineering, electrician, design, architecture, trades etc.) to assist Junior High and High School students with hands on construction of their own interactive science centre exhibits.Volunteers will go onsite into the schools for 2-3 half day visits over the course of the project. Serving as content experts, volunteers will provide students with constructive and supportive feedback directly as students work through ideas, build exhibits, and conduct pilot tests. You will work with the same classes and students throughout the course of the project and be paired with TELUS Spark staff members for each school visit. Volunteers will be utilized based on individual classroom needs as the projects develop.
- Assisting with physically building exhibits
- Aiding in problem solving
- Supporting students through prototyping process and encouraging testing ideas
- Ability to communicate effectively with youth
- Experience working with hands-on tools and materials
- Comfort with the topics the students are exploring
- Positive attitude and openness to experimentation
- Excellent observation skills and empathy for others
- Basic knowledge of Design Thinking is an asset
- Police clearance