Visitors to TELUS Spark, referred to here by our legal name 'The Calgary Science Centre & Creative Kids Museum Society', expect that their children will take part in fun learning experiences. They also expect that the learning will occur in a safe and secure environment. We are now ensuring that the personal information you provide to us is kept safe and secure as well.
The Calgary Science Centre & Creative Kids Museum Society has put in place a number of measures to ensure that your personal information is handled to the same standards now required of business organizations in Alberta. Our commitment to personal privacy exceeds the requirements set by the Alberta Government for non-profit organizations.
Personal information is provided to us when you:
- Purchase a Membership in person, over the phone or online
- Purchase tickets for admission or services with a credit card in person, over the phone or online
- Make a donation in person, over the phone or online
- Register a child in a program or event, such as our Science Camps or a birthday party event
- Book and/or pay for a facility rental or event booking
- Volunteer or become an employee of the Calgary Science Centre & Creative Kids Museum Society.
We collect personal information when we need it to provide you with the programs or services you have selected. The information we may ask for is listed below with a summary of how we use this information:
- Credit card information: enables us to process your payments for entrance fees, program registration or donations
- Home address, phone number, e-mail address and names of family members: tells us who you are when you buy a membership or make a donation, who among your family are to be included on the membership card, and how we can communicate with you
- About your children (names and ages, names of parents or guardians, and any medical conditions): provides us with the information we need to register children in the right programs and enables us to ensure each child's safety and security while in the care of the Science Centre.
Other personal information that may be required for specific programs or services will only be collected with your consent. As a participant in the Calgary Science Centre & Creative Kids Museum Society activities, we may invite you to attend special or educational events or to contribute your time, talent or funds for Science Centre initiatives. You will always have the option of not providing certain personal information or choosing not to receive communications from us.
Guests who simply want to explore the exhibits and pay their admission in cash need not provide any personal information. Personal information is not collected for children who take part in Science Centre programs or events as part of a school or community group.
From time to time, however, photographs may be taken of children at the Science Centre by the media or used in promotional materials prepared by Science Centre staff. In all cases, parents will be asked to sign a release for the taking and use of photographs. The provision of a release is optional and does not limit your child's participation in Science Centre activities and events.
The information you provide is for the exclusive use of the Calgary Science Centre & Creative Kids Museum Society. We do not sell, loan or trade names of guests or donors to other organizations or individuals. We will require your explicit consent to use your personal information for purposes other than those provided for in this statement. Under the provisions of the Alberta legislation, the Science Centre may disclose your personal information:
- To a person who we are satisfied is requesting information on your behalf
- When permitted or required by law; or
- To a public authority if, in our reasonable judgment, there appears to be an imminent danger that could be avoided by disclosing the information.
If you have any questions about the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information, please contact the Privacy Officer, who can be reached in the following ways:
- E-mail email@example.com
- Telephone the business office (403.817.6800) between 9:00 and 4:00 MST and ask to be connected to the Privacy Officer
- Send a letter to:
Attention: Privacy Officer
220 St George's Drive NE
Calgary AB T2E 5T2