Category: Adults Only Nights
Adults Only Night
Nov. 8, 2012 6:00pm — 10:00pm
Adults Only Night
6:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.
What would happen if some catastrophic event struck and you could no longer rely on modern conveniences to get by? Where would start? How would you cover your basic needs?
Join us on November 8 and find out if you could live ‘off the grid’ and start to hone your survival skills. You know…just in case.
- How to Start a Fire…and then Put it Out: 6:00 – 9:00 p.m. - A top survival essential is knowing how to start (and put out) a fire. Join us in the Atrium where you can put your problem solving skills to work.
- Build Your Own Shelter: 6:00 – 9:00 p.m. - Join us in the Atrium to strengthen your shelter building skills. If you are stranded in the wilderness, knowing how to build an outstanding refuge will provide youwith the safety and warmth you need to survive.
- Off the Grid Research from SAIT Polytechnic: 6:00 – 10:00 p.m. - Join the Applied Research and Innovation Services’ Cadmus Photovoltaic Research Trailer; a mobile, battery-based solar system that allows for the capture and storage of energy from the sun. Plus, discover how Connor Graham from the Biodiesel Project, goes about turning disposed cooking oils generated from SAIT culinary classrooms into biodiesels.
- Knit Yourself Through Anything: 6:00 - 8:00 p.m. - With no power, you'll have no way to charge your favourite gadgets! Allow us to help you build skills in passing time with ‘survival knitting’ – a practical way to keep warm and busy in any situation.
- Insulate Yourself Experiment 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. -Let’s keep it real. We live in Calgary, and it is almost always cold…even in August. Take part in the Insulate Yourself Experiment, where you can test a variety of unconventional materials to create a weather ready outfit; this is bubble wrap at it’s best!
- One Handed Challenges: 7:30 – 9:00 p.m. -Put your survival skills to the test, with One Handed Challenges, a series of tasks that demand your use of creative dexterity! Make a sling for a friend or sew some stitches are just two of the surprising challenges in store!
As always, you'll have access to a licensed bar service and music throughout the evening. TOP TIP: Skip the queue. Buy tickets online in advance.
RSVP to our Facebook Event to be the first to hear about the monthly themes, exciting program updates and to invite your friends!
*Adults Only Night is a licensed event and only those 18 years of age and older are able to attend. All visitors must provide valid government issued photo ID. Regular admission rates are in effect.